mgs

Re: Running without a thermostat

To: tab@penworks.com
Subject: Re: Running without a thermostat
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 11:17:50 EDT
In a message dated 4/19/00 7:43:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tab@penworks.com
writes:

<< I've replaced a few thermostats on vehicles; usually they would fail and
 the car would in turn fail to get warm.  This just happened with my Saab
 this winter.  I could drive it for 2 hours on the highway and it would
 never get up to normal temp (never budge out of the cold).  Dead
 thermostat.  New thermostat, runs great.  Same thing happened with my van
 the winter before. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I used to have this problem in my VW bus going from Philly to Baltimore in
the winter.  No heat.  No thermostat.  No radiator.  Great stereo though.

We replaced the tube that brought the heat from the heat exchangers to the
front of the bus with a galvanized rain downspout.  After an hour of driving,
I could then feel a bit of warmth if I put my hand in front of the heater
vent.

Then I bought a Rover 2000TC and my heat problems were over.  Of course, I
had to rebuild the clutch slave cylinder every few months, but that was easy.

It's great what we go thru, isn't it?

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget