mgs

last of the "suv" rant?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: last of the "suv" rant?
From: Brian Warmuth <warmuthb@WLSC.WVNET.EDU>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 15:40:47 -0500
Craig Brownlee wrote:

"Damn why don't we just sell out to big brother and let him tell us all
what we
can drive or not drive... you know if we all road horses gas would be
almost
free around here then"

Well, really the Government tells us what to drive anyway, whether we
like it or not. I mean, cripes, if I had a Sherman Tank some supposedly
well-meaning local garndarme or other local offical (license agency)
would probably balk at my wanting to drive it on the road......forget my
logical want and need for protection and security.....or even towing
capacity.  They probably just wouldn't let me road it.  Oh well.    I DO
own a 79 Ford (stepside) pick'em up truck...which I only drive when I
have to haul something. Other than that, I drive a "regular" small Buick
and a LBC whenever possible.   I also DO know that for some people
(businesses, etc) SUVs are what they need.....I just believe the point I
have read here is that many of these things are on the road with one to
two people and a quart of milk /loaf of bread in them.....and that's
just not necessary most of the time, IMHO.

For the most part.....I have yet to see anyone who living in the city,
needs to drive a four-wheel drive , two and one-half ton, V-8 machine
just to get around to the office, work or to the dentist's office. There
are exceptions to everything.....some people work in construction, etc.
It's just the majority of use (misuse) that I believe bothers most
people.  Around these parts, there are
those who feel it necessary to drive "monster trucks" like 8 1/2 feet
tall with 45" wheels and ladders to get in the cab and bumpers 4 feet
off the ground. IMHO these vehicles are fine for "mud-boggin" but have
no place on the road.  (and yeah, I
know semi-tractor trailers are big too, its just that I usually only see
them on the interstates/4-lane, and not on the city/residential streets
with soccer moms in them)

Just my .05 worth.
Brian