mgs

Re: What to do "while I'm at it"? Replacing brake MC

To: tmcl98@yahoo.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What to do "while I'm at it"? Replacing brake MC
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 13:52:48 EST
In a message dated 3/8/00 12:54:01 PM Eastern Standard Time, tmcl98@yahoo.com
writes:

<< Well another first for me in the next few weeks.  I
 need to replace the brake mc and thought I would ask
 the list what to do "while I'm at it."  The flexible
 lines to the calipers were replaced about 3 years ago
 and the inflexible lines look okay.

 Any suggestions? >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Flush and refill all the brake fluid with Castrol LMA.  (PLEASE don't start
that thread again!)  You have to bleed them anyway, and changing the fluid
every two or three years is a good practice.  Just open each bleed screw and
keep pumping and refilling the MC until new fluid flows out.  If the fluid in
the system is a few years old, you will know by the color change.

Keep in mind that if you haven't rebuilt the calipers or wheel cylinders
recently, the new MC may have enough pressure to blow one of them out.  If
you are REALLY bored, you could rebuild the calipers and put on new rear
wheel cylinders.

And while you are at it, the cat needs a bath.  :-)

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport