mgs

Re: Oil pan baffle...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil pan baffle...
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 10:41:46 EST
<get the special tuning book moss#212-470 it has a scematic (sp).
i used it to make mine. i just kept enlarging it on a copier until it came
out to the right size.>

Excellent idea! I have always just done it with a sump at hand.
I have done it many different ways in various engines in the past, either
brazed in place, or (my preference) bolted to brazed-in captive nuts - makes
it easier to clean the pan, but make sure the bolts that hold the plate in
are WELL secured.

This idea was not one that occurred to the factory - the closest they got was
the Twincam cast alloy pan, with side chambers, but frankly I'm sure that was
more for oil volume than from any concept of oil surge. These days with much
higher cornering forces in competition, the baffle is really necessary for
any sort of autocross or racing.

Even on my Twincam race car, I use the steel pan, as it is much easier to
modify (and a hell of a lot easier to remove the engine than with the wide
alloy pan).

I looked at John's site, and the pans they do are a step in the right
direction (nice touch using a commercial hinge, as the pin is well and truly
secure, but the trade-off is the holes, which could be brazed up, and only
fair fit with the pan bottom), but IMHO, the only way to really ensure oil
flow is adequate is to use a pressure fed reservoir like the Accusump.

You will be fine with a baffled pan for slalom, but you should really
consider an Accusump for racing, as the corners are often much bigger radius
and you can be in them for an appreciable length of time.

Bill