mgs

Re: Header??

To: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Subject: Re: Header??
From: Phil Bates <jello@ida.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 13:50:55 -0700
The 5 main engine is an 18GB, and the 3 main is an 18G.  The MGA's head is a
1500
head, while the MGB has an 1800 no emissions head - the 1800 should have
slightly
larger valves, and so it should really get better mileage (although I have not
physically checked the valve sizes in the two).  I also don't know about the cam
grinds, other than that the 5-main should be stock - I don't know why the 3 main
would be anything but stock.  The 3 main got new bearings more recently, but the
oil pressure isn't as high on it (I suspect the pump).

I can't imagine that teh header would be more trouble - except getting it in and
out (which is a pai in the butt on my MGA, when removing the engine) - because
my
exhaust downpipe has gotten loose about a dozen times from bottoming out - the
loosness occurring at the union between the manifold and the downpipe.  A header
doesn't have that union.

Thanks forthefeedback.
Phil Bates