mgs

Re: Bought a bunch of new Christmas toys!

To: lundgren@iname.com
Subject: Re: Bought a bunch of new Christmas toys!
From: Michael J Robson <miker15@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 19:54:58 -0500

On Sun, 19 Dec 1999 20:00:55 -0700 (MST) "Andrew B. Lundgren"
<lundgren@iname.com> writes:
> I had to share with someone, my co-workers, a bunch of software
> engineers and my wife are just not excited about it!
>
> I got a new:
> AL head and gasket set,
> AL valve cover with chrome oil cap,
> heater valve,
> accelerator cable,
> dash cover (not the plastic top, the whole thing),
> carb heat shield,
> seat webbing,
> magnetic cover for the rain collector vent,
> hood insulation pad
> carb rebuild kits.

Well, that lot will keep you out of the rain all winter!!

> Still to be ordered:  a fuel gauge sender,

Beware of these things - the replacement ones seem to be crap regardless
of where you get them - i have got through four of them in two years -
ive given up now and rely on the trip meters!! (250 miles per tank is
safe!)

> Has anyone installed the dash face?  I saw one on ebay and someone
> (kids or parking lot people) broke the plastic top that the PO put
> over the hammered dash, so I needed to do something...

There are a number of difficulties with these things -
1)you have to remove the entire dash from the car which is a weekends
work in itself employing every contortion you can manage and every
universal joint in your collection plus a few borrowed ones.
Prior to that you have to disconnect all the guages/switches/lights -
remember to clearly mark all wiring - removing the alt light/high beam
light and reheostat(if you have one) are particularly challenging -
change ALL the bulbs regardless of whether they work or not - this is
much easier at theis time
2)removing the old cover from the metal dash backing requires a lot of
scraping and rubbing with solvents - it needs to be totally clean of old
material before.......
3)gluing the new cover to the metal backing - use silicon, it is more
forgiving to adjustments than glue
4)refit guages/switches/lights to the assembly
5)re-attach to the car - remember not to return all the u/js to your
neighbour until this is done!!
6)reattach all wiring
7)pop a cool one and make an appointment at the chiropractor!

Seriously this is a straighforward job but VERY time consuming and it
requires a lot of car at the gluibg stage - if you can get away with just
doing another dash-top it will be a lot easier!!

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
53 Riley