mgs

Re: loss of power

To: mcjsr@talstar.com
Subject: Re: loss of power
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 10:03:33 EDT
Scott,
  A car that is stored for four years can have a number of problems that
are caused by the storage. Generally they are not at all serious, but
they will require that you get your hands dirty.  Let's assume that the
rebuild was a quality job.
  Some things that come to mind as going bad during storage:
  Carb gets gummy. Fuel line gets gummy. Fuel pump electrical points can
corrode and the little ball valves get stick from stale gas.
  Distributor contacts and rotors corrode. Spark plug wires can soften
and the contacts at the ends corrode also. The little wire from points to
the nut on the outside can get corroded.
  Inside the engine, the valve seals (that are none too good to begin
with) can harden and dry out. Piston rings can stick in the pistons. The
sludge in the oil settled to the bottom of the pan.
  You probably changed the oil as soon as you got the car running. If
not, do it now, and if you have a few hundred sputtering miles on the
engine, do it again.
  So, what would I do at this point?
  I would replace points, condenser, ignition wires and, possibly, spark
plugs if they don't look pristine.  Double check the points setting,
using a dwell meter to get it right. Oil the bushings in the distributor
while you have the old points out, and check that the advance mechanism
is oiled and working.
  Adjust the valves when the sparkplugs are out. You can adjust them with
plugs in, but turning the engine is easier with them out. Do again once
the engie is running well.
  Make sure all the bolts to the carb are snug. THere are two at the
bottom that are hard to reach. They don't have to be ubertight, but good
and snug.
  Fire her up.  Once running half well, spray a can of carb cleaner down
the carb. ( I'm suspecting that stale gas is the root of your problems
here)  It will smoke and belch and be embarassing, but the stuff does
tend to clean off crud.  Also, install a new air cleaner unless you know
the old one is low mileage.  Put a pint of dry-gas into the fuel tank.
If the engine ran OK before storage, then the carb adjustment should be
OK. The choke can stick. That's external (mostly) and you can check to
see that the three little screws holding the water cover on are in place.
That pointer should line up in the center of the scale. It's obvious when
you look at it. Careful with those screws--they go into very soft metal
and are easy to strip.
  At this point, if the problem was just lack of use, the car's
performance should be slightly better, and it will continue to improve as
the old gas gets used up and replaced by fresh fuel.    My cars tend to
stumble in the springtime, after a winter of limited use.
Bob