mgs

Re: helicoils

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: helicoils
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 10:13:31 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Steven Tritle wrote to mgs@autox.team.net:

> Where can I get a helicoil to repair the distributor fixing plate screw
> holes on a TD? Help!!

Do you mean the advance plate inside the distributor (the plate on which
the points mount)?  They are a BA (British Association) thread, so you
will have a very hard time finding HeliCoils or any other kind of thread
repair insert to match in the United States.  Perhaps some of our British
list members know of a source.  Unless you are an absolute stickler for
originality, it will be easier to rethread the holes to a US machine screw
size.

Or do you mean the threaded hole in the engine block for the plate that
clamps the distributor to the engine on an early TD?  If so, that is an 8
X 1 MM thread.  HeliCoils are made in that size, but you'll probably have
to visit several large auto supply or machinist's supply stores to find
one because it isn't a commonly used metric size any more (the standard 8
MM fine thread these days is 8 X 1.25 MM).

Chip Old               1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  XPAG7430  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland     1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO  CT3479E
fold@bcpl.net