mgs

Re: carburetor oil

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: carburetor oil
From: pschauss@parker.com
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 13:44:51 -0700

>>  Original Mesage:

Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 09:29:21 -0400
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>
Subject: carborattor oil...where does it go?

Hi,
  I have 2 thought questions for you experienced souls.
1. What does the carborator oil do and where does it go so I have to refill
every 50 miles or so?

2. I understand mechanics and replacing static parts, but I want to learn
to do my own tune-up. Any suggestions as to where I might learn what a
tune-up does for an engine and how to do it? I guess I am asking for the
Roseta stone of car repair manuals. Titles???

TIA,

Bill, '76B<<

The purpose of the oil is to delay the rise of the piston when you accelerate,
so that the air fuel mixture is temporarily made richer.  It performs a function
similar to the accelerator pump in U.S. carburetors.

If you are using the original Z-S single carburetor, you need to replace the
o-ring at the bottom of the piston.  Look at a diagram of the cross section of
the carburetor in the Moss or VB parts catalog (sorry I don't have a page
reference
here at work).  There is a screw at the bottom of the oil reservoir which holds
and adjusts the height of the needle.  The o-ring seals the opening through
which
this screw passes.  The screw is held captive by a star-shaped washer which
grips
the sides of the oil reservoir.   To replace the screw, you need to get in there
with something to flip the star-shaped washer out of the way.  Then remove the
screw, replace the o-ring, and put everything back together.

Alternatively, replace your Z-S with dual SUs and get back all the power which
your B is supposed to have.

Peter Schauss, Long Island, NY
1980 MGB