mgs

Petronix air gap and ignition trouble

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Petronix air gap and ignition trouble
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 21:45:01 -0400
Is there such a setting on this piece?  I'm running a '75 45D Euro Spec
distributor in my '70 B.  I am using the LU143 Petronix piece, if I am
not mistaken.

I notice that you can adjust the air gap.  The instructions make no
mention of this, and I notice the gap can easily vary from 0 to probably
50 thou.

I am having some horrible problems with my car stumbling badly at higher
rpms.  I replaced the points with the Petronix, since they were slightly
pitted.  Now it is continually getting worse. The car only seems to run
at lower rpms, with or without load.  The engine warms up a lot hotter
than normal and starts to ping badly.  I thought the timing was
retarded, but I've fiddled with the timing to no avail.  If I adjust
timing back, no guts over 3000 rpm.  If I adjust timing ahead, it
stumbles.

I've checked the coil and wires, and plugs are new bosch platinum.  I
will be placing my old plugs back on, but I don't think that will solve
it (new plugs ran fine for 1000 miles).  I'm running a Crane multistrike
igntion box, and will be wiring up the ignition to bypass the box
tomorrow to see if the situation improves.

I'm at a loss right now, but having written this message, I am thinking
of other things to check.  I've got to make a 400 mile trip home this
Friday and would love to be able to skoot along at 75 mph rather than
crawl at the 40 mph I am limited to now.

Soliciting opinions.  Thanks all
Jay
--
When you were born you cried