mgs

Re: Non-crossflow aluminum heads...opinions needed

To: <H4aardvrk@aol.com>, <BDurgin1@aol.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Non-crossflow aluminum heads...opinions needed
From: "Mike Lishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 17:18:38 -0500
Howard,
    Did you have any reservations about putting an alloy head on a
steel block?  I've heard that certain engines had problems mating
the two different materials because of the difference in rates of
heating between the two metals.  From what I understand, time caused
them to "weld" together.  Of course, this was on older cars, and I'm
sure problems like that were taken into consideration when the heads
were designed.  Do they offer a resistance to cracking that the
stock heads can't?  I was wondering if anything Moss sent you with
the parts mentioned this or your machine shop gave you any
hesitation when you told them your plans.  When I need a new head
for my car, I'm going to look at the alloy ones - I bet they look
great!

Michael S. Lishego
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/3706/

>Bruce,
>     I recently purchased and installed a Moss ally non crossflow
head when I
>rebuilt my 1976 18V engine this summer.  It went on easily..I have
found it to
>be a good part..My mid range power is up a bit(less squish area in
the
>combustion chamber-valve area?)...It sealed well using 60 ft.lbs.
of torque on
>the head bolts..Carb and exhaust port areas are well surfaced..the
ports
>themselves are smooth and a bit larger than the cast iron
equilivents.. I am