mgs

Re: OD Speedo numbers

To: "Mike Lishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Subject: Re: OD Speedo numbers
From: Bert Palte <palte@rt.el.utwente.nl>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 98 21:08:57 +0200
At 13:20 22-04-1998 -0400, Mike wrote:
>Is there a numeric difference between a regular and overdrive speedometer?

Straight from memory, without checking, Mike. (I've had my OD gearbox in
cartons for about two years, now... Still not under the car... Lack of time...)

For GHN5-cars the (gear ratios of the speedo) gears in the gearbox (or,
at the rear of the OD) are different, depending only on whether you have a
CB or RB car.
AFAIK when you change from a non-OD to an OD box from the same 'group'(i.e.
CB OR RB), you don't need to change the speedo.

When you change from a CB non-OD box to a RB OD-box (like I did, or rather,
intend)
you have to change either the speedo or the gears. (I chose for the latter).
The difference in speedo indictation is then only 1 percent, that is,
negligible.

>In a similar vein, can anybody tell me the approximate weight of an
>overdrive transmission, without fluid?

Ball park figure, without checking, about 100 lbs / 45 kg

Bert

who has a CB MGB and a RB OD box,
thus now having the speedo gears for a RB OD box available for
whoever needs them....