mgs

Re: patching rust holes? (Long)

To: charlie schellinck <charlie@mars.ark.com>
Subject: Re: patching rust holes? (Long)
From: Jim Boyd <ISC@dcsi.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 01:51:13 -0800
Hey Listers:

I feel strongly that it is important for MGB owners to understand the
relevance of rust (or lack of rust) in the dogleg area.  NOT TO LECTURE
HERE, but the MGB is of unibody construction and rust is a potential
major issue that can contribute to the demise of a B.

When I evaluate a B for sale, I first walk around the car entirely once,
maybe twice, just to see how it "sits".  Then I immediately zoom in on
the lower fender rocker area and the doglegs.  If the paint is bubbling
at all, that is not a good sign!  It is ALWAYS worse that what shows up
on the outside!

I also check the gap between the door and the B post.  If rust has hit
this car hard, the car will actually start to sag in the middle (yep,
even this a few times even here in CA!).  So the door gap will be wider
at the bottom and smaller near the top of the door.  I have had owners
who were frustrated when I have passed on their car for sale and didn't
even start the engine, because the rust was so bad!  Mechanicals are a
CHEAP fix!

Back to the unibody:  There are three pieces here that run from the rear
of the front wheel arch to the front of the rear wheel arch.  If any of
these pieces are damaged by rust, then everything else becomes at risk.
The inner sill is seen inside the cockpit, typically carpeted or covered
in vinyl.  Next, but hidden from view, is the diaphram.  Third part is
the outer sill, which is actually on the outside of the car (forms the
door threshold) and is painted.  All three of these panels are spot
welded together and form a ridge (where exposed in the door threshold)
that the door weatherstripping is attached to.  Hope I haven't confused
too many of you (its about 1:30AM here, can't sleep!).

OFTEN when the dog legs are rusted, the diaphram also is rusted and has
holes in it.  This becomes a safety factor that deserves proper
consideration, as in a proper repair. When it gets that bad, the only
way to really fis it is to remove/install a new diaphram and outer
sill.  Back to Square One:  when buying a B, buy the best body you can
afford; mechanicals are a cheap fix!

In the past, I have purchased Bs with a variety of "fillers" in the dog
legs:  a pound of bondo, steel wool, newspapers, even old shop rags.
Fix the car right, you will enjoy it and it will serve future
generations, too!

Thanks for reading this; hope it helps some!

Cheers,
Jim Boyd
Internationals Sportscar Components
Paradise, CA  USA