mgs

Smoke, Oil, & such question

To: MG mail list <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Smoke, Oil, & such question
From: Mike Cousins <mike.cousins@wsnelson.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 09:36:35 -0600
Ok, I have a 77 MGB with a lot of miles.  At startup and at idle I've
got smoke out of the exhaust.  Not billowing clouds, but you can see it
and smell it. However, I've got really good oil pressure - 75 psi (maybe
I need to check the guage?!?) and the smoke out of the exhaust stops at
higher revs and at cruising speed.

Questions:

Am I burning oil ? If so, why does the smoke stop at higher speeds?

Should I use a high viscosity oil to try to "fix" the problem ?

The engine is really strong and I really dont want to yank it and
rebuild it (basically due to my finances).

Any suggestions / comments would be very appreciated

Cheers !!!

Michael J. Cousins III

Work Address:  mike.cousins@wsnelson.com
Home Address: mciii@ix.netcom.com

Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines. - Enzo Ferrari

No one will EVER need more than 640K of ram. - Bill Gates