mgs

Re: Carb Question

To: Blake Wylie <bwylie@fly.HiWAAY.net>,
Subject: Re: Carb Question
From: Mike Hartwig <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 20:46:18 -0500
At 06:01 PM 10/21/97 -0500, Blake Wylie wrote:
>> I am having problems with my SU carbs, and someone has a Zenith-Stromburg
>> in excellent condition that they will let me have if I want it (they put a
>> Weber on theirs).  I don't have the money to replace them with a Weber
>> (however, I may do so in later years).  Is this a good idea?  The person
>> also gave me an old dirty set of SUs for replacement parts.  Should I just
>> start replacing some of the parts and try to tune the current ones up? Can
>> anyone give me any help in tuning the SUs?
>> Advice...comments...options...etc....   ????

>Oh yes...I also would like to know the pros and cons of both the SUs and
>Zenith-Strom (leave out the weber for now...I can't afford it...)  :)

Blake, by all means stick with the SUs.  Even my worn SUs have held up
quite well.
The secret to SUs is to set them and don't fiddle with them.  It's when you
start
to fart with them, that you get into trouble.  I'm going on 1.5 years on
only one
initial setup and my front two plugs are nice and brown indicating a good
clean burn, while my rear two plugs(three and four cylinders) are kinda
black from a rich mixture.

Things to check on your SUs are the throttle shafts as well as any other
areas where
vacuum leaks can occur.
Please describe your problem more specifically and I may be able to help
out more.

First, though, spray your favorite lubricant on the throttle shafts and on
the intake manifold to try to find vacuum leaks.  Until you find them all
and remedy them, you'll never be able to tune well.  Make sure you use a
non-combustible lubricant, otherwise, you might have singed eyebrows or
worse because of ignited vapors from hot exhaust manifold.

take care
jay