mgs

Re: TC Fuel Level Light

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TC Fuel Level Light
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 05:44:05 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, Parsons, Lindsey wrote:

> Does anyone have a completely dry fuel low level transmitter inserted
> into their TC fuel tank ? I believe the TD may have the same system
> transmitter in it's tank. We have tried two different new units and both
> leak. It evidently is a problem with the internals of the transmitter
> itself as the area around the electrical connection seems to be where
> the fuel escapes and not at the main unit to tank seal. If these things
> can be made completely dry, we will continue to work with it, if not,
> we'll just fill up the inside with potting material and forget the light
> altogether. I certainly will run out of kidney capacity before running
> out of fuel !!!

The TC and TD do use the same sending unit.

Internal leakage is normal.  There are no seals around the float pivot
shaft, so fuel is free to seep into the switch area.  That in and of
itself is no problem.  It won't cause an explosion - not enough air.

If you're seeing fuel on the outside of the unit and you're certain it
isn't seeping past the main unit to tank gasket, then it is seeping past
the seal under the stamped steel cover plate.  That plate is easily
distorted from overtightening, so it can be difficult to get a good seal
on an old unit that has suffered in the hands of a "tighten it til it
screams" DPO.  A thicker gasket sometimes solves the problem.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us