mgs

Re: Metal to Plastic Adhesive

To: Brian & Patricia LaVoie <BPLAVOIE@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Metal to Plastic Adhesive
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 19:43:33 -0500
>Anyone have a recommendation for an adhesive to glue the plastic "MG"
>emblem to the grill? It looks like the glue will be applied directly to
>the printed surface of the badge, and whatever the DPO used on the last
>badge ate right into it. Any advice is appreciated.
>
>Brian LaVoie
>'74 B

Hi Brian:

I had the same problem and managed to ruin one badge.  Use silicone gasket
goo.  It won't harm the badge and will hold it on.  It wouldn't hurt to
roughen the surface of the badge mount where the glue will be applied to
help the bond.  Normally, I recommend a GM product called "Plastic Emblem
Cement" which is excellent for many purposes but it will attack the finish
on these MG badges.

Another good possibility is to use industrial strength two-sided tape.
This is sold by body shop supplies for mounting emblems and trim.  3M also
makes a similar product.  It is like carpet tape but much stronger.  The
thickness of the tape will make the emblem stand a bit proud of the mount
but it will look ok.

John