mgs

Re: Made in "Chaiwan!"

To: Nick Benson <nbenson@ci.fort-collins.co.us>
Subject: Re: Made in "Chaiwan!"
From: Geoff Love <engconn@infi.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 17:03:29 -0500
Nick Benson wrote:

> Interesting comments on this "thread" about the quality of parts
> from Asian countries.
>
> Yes, I agree completely that there are many parts made in England
> and the USA that are badly engineered and don't perform how
> they are supposed to, but at least they are making the effort to
> "get-it-right."
>
> And "getting it right" means more than the how the part performs.
>  >>>CUT>>>
>
>  Show me that these benefits exist in Mexico or Asia, and I'll start
> to buy "stuff" made there.
>
> Now do you all get it?
>
> Nick D. Benson
> Dept. of Construction Management and Manufacturing
> Technology
> Colorado State University
> Fort Collins   CO

Oh dear, Oh dear, Oh dear.  I am trying hard not to let this subject get
me too riled up. However, I would like to make this further point for
readers to ponder.  2 years ago I needed an air compresser.  Went to the
local hardware store and looked at the collection.  I settled on a
Campbell Hausfeld partly because it had a large label on it which was
designed in a "Stars and Stripes" format, and partly because the name
was known to me.  The label also read "Made in the U.S.A.".  I bought
it.  1 year later it wouldn't start.  Pressure switch kaput.  I removed
it in an attempt to mend it.  When I opened it up, a label inside read
"Made in Mexico".  Cost $45 for a replacement. The replacement pressure
gauge built in to the switch has now broken. I bought an air wrench at
the same time and place.  Used it 3 times, and it broke.  Took it back
to the store, and they replaced it, with another Taiwanese made one.
When I discussed the quality and price of the goods they were selling,
the owner told me she had had to give up trying to sell higher quality
and more expensive items as the locals would not pay the price.  They
were only interested in cheap quantity, not 'expensive' quality.

I do not mind junk being offered for sale, providing I have the option
to purchase better quality if I so choose, but where is the
alternative?  In the course of my restoration work I frequently have to
install wood screws into ash MG body frames.  I used to buy the screws
locally but found they were made of monkey metal and were as soft as
cheese.  My local store owner tells me there is not a wood screw made in
the US now. Look at the boxes and it reads like a geography lesson, but
USA doesn't appear.  I now buy them in the UK when I go there.

>>>SNIP>>> It means a reasonable wage, (more than a dollar per hour), it
> means safety standards for workers, reasonable working
> conditions, health coverage, workers' compensation, etc, etc.
Oh Yes...  If ever you go to buy an Indian carpet or rug, just think
about the six years olds who work 16 hours a day to weave them. Now,
would anyone like to start discussing de Beers?!!!

I could go on but I think I've blown my stack enough.

Geoff Love, The English Connection