mgs

Part cars - good for me, or not??!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Part cars - good for me, or not??!
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 14:05:08 EST
Someone recently said:

>..... looked at  a '76 MGB today. The fate of that 20-year-old car can
only be described as pathetic, ...... It may be worth $200 as a parts
car. ...... it "might have been hit" from the front ..... The front
seats..... are probably salvageable. ..... The carpet needs to go!!

> .... I'm thinking that if I had a car-trailer and $200-300 I could pick
up the car. But, for what reason?

>And where would I put the car? And keep the trailer?? ..... don't have a
clue what I may be getting myself "in for." .....

As compared to a lot of other LBC nuts, I may be a bit strange in this
respect, but I have one hard and fast rule.  When it comes to my LBC, I
am monogamous.  It and I are both very active and both have seen a lot of
miles.  I figure I couldn't give it all the care it needs to stay in top
shape if my attentions were divided.

I have a 1-1/2 car heated garage/shop dedicated to the LBC,  meaning that
it's not MY space, it belongs to the LBC.  I try to keep it in the best
of order.  About once a year I do a kind of spring house cleaning.  I
start by clearing off one shelf and cleaning it.  Then I start with a
second shelf, pick up each item in turn and place it on the first shelf.
In the process I ask two questions:  "Have we used this in the last
year?", and "Are we likely to use it in the next year?".  If the answer
to both questions is "No", it goes directly into the nearest trash can or
off to a garage sale.  The sole exception to that system is any spare
part for the LBC, of which we may keep one of each, and I can't toss it
out because it's not mine, it belongs to the LBC.

The LBC on the other hand is a little vain.  It tends to collect one of
everything that it already has, and expects me to keep finding space for
it's little treasures.  Occasionally it collects something it thinks is
somehow superior to something it already has, like a Weber side draft
carburetor.  Now who am I to argue, and just in case the LBC should
change its mind, I don't dare toss out the original part either.

Over the years the LBC has gone through though face lifts, tummy tucks,
revamping of the derriere, change of complexion, and transplants of the
major organs, but I firmly draw the line at tossing out the whole body in
favor of a new one.  Nor will we ever be divorced or separated until
death do us part.

Somewhere along the line the LBC got this idea of collecting a mostly
complete parts car, but the idea passed quickly.  The LBC is also
somewhat jealous and very protective of its status.  There is no room in
this home for another, too much risk of the other becoming the center of
attention and maybe even displacing the first.  So while the LBC
continues to line the shelves with its bits and trinkets, there shall
never be another allowed in this home.

Such is life,

Barney Gaylord -- 1958 MGA