mgs

horn ground

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: horn ground
From: glen@pegasus.unm.edu
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 10:13:59 -0600 (MDT)
howdy folks,
        i was out the other day playing with my mg  to see why the heck
the horn don't work. well, first thing i did was to put voltage directly
to the horn from the batt. yeah, the horn itself works fine. so then i
started looking for bad connections up the line with my ohmmeter. i
finally narrowed it down to the fact that the steering shaft is not
grounding properly. i figured this out because i noticed that as i turned
the wheel, there was a certain point where the resistance between the
outer copper ring contact under the horn button and ground went to zero
and the horn worked fine. this was caused by the fact that the fuel line
was close to the steering shaft where it clamps to the rack, and at that
point the bolt on that clamp would come into contact with the fuel line,
thus grounding the circuit. i moved the fuel line out of the way and the
resistance went way up again to around 500k.
        my question is, where the heck is the ground connection for the
steering shaft? i couldn't find any kind of wiper or brush that provides
ground to the steering shaft anywhere. i know there must be one though,
since the horn used to work just fine not a few months before. if anyone
has any ideas, drop me a line. thanxs a bunch!

glen

btw, sorry, i forgot to mention the car in question is a '66 midget.