mgs

Water injection system installation

To: RJDONAHU@mail.delcoelect.com
Subject: Water injection system installation
From: cwnicholls@juno.com (Clark W Nicholls)
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 20:31:03 PST
Here's the text portion of the installation info.  I didn't get to the
sales literature yet...

TO ATTACH LUBRICATOR
1. Assemble Mounting Bracket to Lubricator with screws and lock washers.
 Mounting Bracket may be reversed if required.
2. Locate Lubricator and Mounting Bracket on fire wall or other
convenient
location.  Keep oil container from contact with wall.  Drill or punch
starting holes for metal holding screws.  Mount securely.
3. Connect copper tubing to Lubricator with anti vibration coil as
illustrated.  Connect tubing to Injector Plate or Nozzle.  On dual type
installations, support dual connector bow with a 3/8” wrench while
attaching
tubing.
4. Remove filter-type filler Cap and fill oil container to top marking
with
an APPROVED-TYPE Lubricant.  Replace Filler Cap.  Tighten oil container.

TO ATTACH TO ENGINE
1. An installation and service kit is required with each Lubricator.
 Specific installation information is included with each kit.
2. Attachment of the Lubricator to the engine provides for either a Specific
Injector Plate or Injector Nozzle.  The Lubricator will not function
properly
without the correct attachment of either the Injector Plate or Nozzle.
3. Injector Plates and Nozzles are illustrated below as required for
various
types of engines.  These Injector Plates and Nozzles have been engineered
provide for controlled vapor spray injection of the lubricant into the
fuel/air stream with proper proportions of lubricant and air.  The
air/fuel
ratio of an engine cannot be disturbed with the use of the proper
Injector
Plate or Nozzle and the correct installation of this part.
4. To use the Injector Nozzle connection a suitable opening must be
available
in the intake manifold, in the riser section and either above or below
the
carburetor, depending on updraft or downdraft type.  If the manifold is
to be
drilled, use a 21/64” drill and tap for 1/8” pipe thread.  Do not attempt
drill through a double wall or hot spot section of the intake manifold.
Use
reamed and flared reducing bushing as required to avoid interference with
vapor spray injection.

 Installation and Operating Instructions

GENERAL OPERATING PRINCIPLES
The AMPCO Vapor Lubricator has been engineered on an exclusive principle
meter and Introduce a properly compounded lubricant, as a completely
dispersed vapor spray, into the fuel/air stream, below the point of
carburetion and without dilution by the engine fuel, to result in even and
immediate distribution of the oil particles to all cylinder of ·n engine
The
use of an APPROVED TYPE Lubricant is essential to satisfactory
performance of
the AMPCO VAPOR LUBRICATOR The AMPCO method of Auxiliary Lubrication will
result in decreased engine wear, reduced engine deposits, improved valve and
ring action,
lowered fuel and oil consumption, and increased power potential.  Since
no
two engines are identical in requirements or operate under the same
conditions, the AMPCO VAPOR LUBRICATOR is equipped with an adjustable oil
flow control valve which affords proper adjustment and regulation of oil
input to provide for Finger-Tip Control of performance and oil
consumption.

TO ADJUST LUBRICATOR
1. Start engine.  Idle a few minutes until warm.
2. From finger tight closed position, open Oil Control Valve 1/2 to 3/4
turn
to left and continue engine idle.  Continue for a few minutes.
3. Reduce oil flow and set Oil Control Valve at 1/4 turn from closed
position.  Observe oil flow which should be steady but not heavy.
4. Accelerate engine 3 or 4 times and return to normal idle.  Adjust idling
speed and low speed mixture on carburetor for smooth idle.  A secondary
adjustment of the Oil Control Valve and carburetor controls may be made
after
initial 100 or more miles of operation to correct Oil Control Valve
adjustment to engine requirements and smooth idle.

CARE OF LUBRICATOR
1. This Lubricator is designed to provide thousands of miles of trouble free
operation.  Air filtration is provided at the Air Inlet and the Filler
Cap.
 If congestion through accumulated road and engine dirt should restrict
filter elements, remove and wash in gasoline and replace.  Replacement
filter
elements are available.
2. The Oil Control Valve provides for a micrometer type adjustment, and
this
mechanism should not be removed or handled roughly.  The Oil Control
Valve
should be opened to 1/2 to 3/4 turn for a few minutes at 1000 to 1500
mile
intervals or when refilling the Lubricator to clear any foreign material
from
valve and seat.  Reset valve to normal position for maximum engine
efficiency.

If original purchaser is not satisfied with this product please return the
product within 30 days of purchase in the original package to Vaco, Inc.,
P.O. Box 6, Florence, MA 01050, with a copy of your sales slip and the
purchase price will be refunded. Vaco, Inc. is not the manufacturer of
this
product and disclaims liability for consequential or incidental damages.

 OWNERS MANUAL

IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS FOR AMPCO OWNER

1. Your engine has been equipped with an AMPCO VAPOR LUBRICATOR to
provide
improved lubrication. This improved auxiliary fabrication will result in
cleaner, quieter, and more efficient engine.  It is important that your
AMPCO
VAPOR LUBRICATOR be filled with a recommended and approved Upper Cylinder
Lubricant for most efficient operation
2. The adjustment of the Oil Control Valve, which meters the volume of
lubricant to your engine as a completely dispersed vapor spray, is simple
in
operation. The fluid input is increased when the valve is moved to the
left
or counter clockwise. The fluid input is decreased when the valve is
moved to
the right or clockwise. By the simple regulation of this valve it is
possible
to either increase or decrease the volume of lubricant to your engine to
obtain maximum operating results.
3. The Oil Control Valve on your Lubricator is a precision made device.
The
valve must not be handled roughly or removed. Adjustment of the valve must be
made only with finger movement and a screw driver must not be used.
4. Filter elements should be cleaned at intervals in gasoline and
replaced
tightly.
5. Viscosity of all oil is affected by temperatures. It is desirable to
increase the valve opening slightly as the temperature decreases below.
32°F.
6. The AMPCO Method of Auxiliary Engine Lubrication is approved and
recommended by engine manufacturers and oil companies as the effective
system
of improved lubrication for all types of internal combustion engines.
7. The utility, durability, and performance of your engine will depend on
good maintenance and sound operation. For your convenience, maintenance and
performance records have been provided to assist you in gaining thousands
of
plus miles of trouble-free and more economical engine operation.

VACO INC.
P.O. Box 6
Florence, MA 01060

Top Cylinder Lubricators
SUPPLEMENT

INSTALLATION OF UNIVERSAL MANIFOLD INJECTOR NOZZLE

To use the injector nozzle connection a suitable opening must be
available in
the center of the intake manifold, preferably in the riser section, and
either above or below the carburetor, depending on updraft or downdraft
type.
If the manifold is to be drilled, use a 21/64" drill and tap for 1/8-27”
pipe
thread (NPT).  Use caution not to let any chips fall down inside the
intake
manifold pipe.  Use a magnet next to the drill and tap or grease the
drill
and tap to catch the metal chips.

There is an alternate method to drilling and tapping the manifold.  The
PCV
hose, or other suitable vacuum hose (Neoprene)  directly entering the
base of
the carburetor or intake manifold, can be cut and a "T" installed.  The
"T"
must have a 1/8-27 pipe thread (NPT) to receive the injector nozzle.

The direct manifold installation remains the preferred method.

Use a lubricant approved for top cylinder lubrication, such as Marvel
Mystery
Oil, Lubritone, FirezOne.

Follow operating instructions.

NOTE: VACO, Inc. has had a universal brass "T" manufactured especially
for
this installation. It fits all size hoses and is now available for $3.50,
shipping included.