mgs

TD Woes - A Cry for Help!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: TD Woes - A Cry for Help!
From: The Palmers <ThePalmers@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 21:30:02 GMT
It happens EVERY YEAR! About this time of the year as I prepare to go to the
GOF (in this case Indy) the TD acts up. Usually on the way to or on the way
back from the GOF. It has only made it both ways under its own power 1 year
of the last 8 years. At all other times it is a reliable and enjoyable car.
Sometimes doing as much as 10,000 miles in a summer (shhhh, Don't tell my
insurance agent.)

Anyway, this year "Charlie" has me stumped. I was just doing a very routine
checkup and tuning. It ran pretty well before, but after completing the job,
we decided to go for an ice cream, but Charlie wasn't willing. At around
3000 RPM - especially under load - the engine misfires. So bad that I can
not get it above 3500 RPM.

During the course of tuneup and subsequent trial replacements, the following
things have been checked and/or replaced:

1) Adjusted carbs for optimal mixture
2) Set timing both statically and "on the light"
3) Cleaned the plugs
4) Replaced points and condensor
5) Checked advance - getting 25 degrees before 3000 RPM
6) Checked mechanical condition of distributor - this distributor was
professionally rebuilt less than 5000 miles ago. - new bushings, new
weights, correct springs, etc.
7) Replaced coil
8) Checked plug wire continuity (solid wires, not silicon or carbon)
9) Synchronized carbs
10) Checked and set tappet clearances
11) Checked compression - 130 worst, 150 best

Yet, it still won't go above 3500 RPM. Any ideas???

Pardon my absence from the net. A change of jobs forced me to make new
Internet arrangements.

Regards,
Lew Palmer