Re: [Mgb-v8] Kendall Oil

To: "James J." <m1garandusa@verizon.net>, "Barrie Robinson" <barrie@look.ca>
Subject: Re: [Mgb-v8] Kendall Oil
From: "Deikis, John G" <John.Deikis@va.gov>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 09:45:22 -0400
Maximum ZDDP levels are specified by the industry standards (currently
"SM") promulgated by the API, an industry group. They are a standard
that reflects OEM manufacturer requirements, dictated by component
warranty concerns, specifically catalytic converters. Oils that do not
want to, or need to, comply with OEM specs, don't need to limit their
ZDDP content. Hence you have "boutique" oils that are marketed for
"classic cars" or race cars or "off road use only" (sic) that
deliberately exceed current SM limits. They are not licensed to show the
"API donut" on the container (check bottles of Red Line, Royal Purple,
Amsoil, Brad Penn, etc.). If the Kendall bottle displays the API donut
and says anything "above" service SJ, the guy is just blowing smoke.
JohnD