Re: Front X member

To: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>
Subject: Re: Front X member
From: James Jewell <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 19:22:50 -0400
The x-member is definitely over-engineered, and people have often
modified it to accept the front-sump pans on Ford engines, but I would
have to definitely recommend against simply "cutting into it" without
taking steps to reinforce it.  First, no sharp corners, as they are
stress-raisers, and this piece is highly cycled, and make sure that all
load-paths are preserved.  In other words, it is basically a box-section
with 4 sides.  Make sure that it remains a box-section with 4-sides.
Try to "move" metal, rather than "remove" metal.
James J.