Re: ....and now ..stop

To: "Barrie Robinson" <barrie@look.ca>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: ....and now ..stop
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 10:19:04 -0000
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Firstly forget a 'ballasted 12v coil'! A coil is either a 12v coil or a 6v coil. Whether the 12v coil is actually a 6v coil that also contains an *internal* ballast resistance is immaterial, it is still a 12v coil to be treated exactly the same as a 12v coil that only contains wire windings.

Do you have an external ballast resistance? If so you need a 6v coil. If not you need a 12v coil. Whilst using a 6v coil without external ballast should not be used for more than a couple of minutes it wouldn't hurt just to eliminate the existing coil as the source of the non-running, or prove that it is the problem. However that would be with points, I'd be wary of doing that with any electronic trigger. Electronic systems can either be used with the standard coil setup, which could be either 12v coil and no external ballast *or* 6v coil with external ballast, or they may come with their own coil, either mandatory or optional, which again could be a 12v item with no external ballast or a 6v item with external ballast, or indeed a very low resistance coil with no external ballast. It all depends on the way the electronic system works. Most electronic systems where a replacement coil isn't a mandatory part of the installation will work with either of the OE coil arrangements, the only proviso being that on rubber bumper cars i.e. those with a 6v coil and external ballast, it is usual to pickup a 12v supply for the electronics from a white wire at the fusebox, and not from the white/light-green at the coil +ve.

A 12v coil *with external* ballast would probably never be used anywhere, anytime (except with 24v electrics ...)

But the first test in a non-starter should always be to clip a timing light onto the coil lead and each plug lead and watch for flashes while you crank. No flashes, then it is ignition. Flashes, then something else like fuel, especially if it tries to go but won't fully catch.

PaulH.