Misc. Questions after a Long Drive

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Misc. Questions after a Long Drive
From: Glenn <g_wakefield@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 19:24:10 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I haven't been active on the list for the last few
years, as I haven't put many miles on the BV8.  I
recently moved back South (upstate SC) and believe
I'll start driving it a lot more.

On Sunday, I put about 150 miles on it on a drive up
into the mountains near the NC border.  Sunny,
temperatures 80-85 degrees.

While the car certainly got me home, there were some
opportunities for improvement.

Car Details:

Rebuilt 3.9 engine with mild Crane Cam
Buick 215 Intake Manifold
Edelbrock 500 carb with stock jets
RV8 hearders
Early Mustang Radiator
10" pusher fan mounted directly to radiator
Cooling system recently flushed
Water wetter being used

Problems:

1.  High Temps.  The car wasn't driven much in upstate
NY on 85 degree days, so this is new to me.  The
engine ran 1-2 needles above N at cruise speeds.  When
I got into a very twisty mountain section or into a
stop/go small town traffic, it went to within 1 needle
of H.  I finally backed off the "spirited" driving,
but that is the reason I went up into the mountains to
begin with.  Suggestions?

2.  Surging.  I seem to have a bit of "surging" at
partial throttle.  It goes away when I accelerate.
This is best noticed while at cruise speed.  It just
seem as smooth as it should be.  Should I consider
changing the needles in the carb?

3.  Hot start problem.  This one has always been with
me.  If I shut the car off while it is warm, let it
sit (say over lunch), and try to start it, it always
starts hard.  I'm guessing that I'm boiling the fuel
in the carb.  It has never failed to start, but it has
made me nervous a few times.  Would adding a heat
sheild between the carb and the manifold help?

Thanks for the help.

Glenn