Re: Valves - Quality

To: "Terry Davis" <twdavis1@comcast.net>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Valves - Quality
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 19:08:31 +0100
Cc: <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
It's normally the seats that are hardened, or have inserts, and the
aluminium heads always did have inserts for obvious reasons, and it is
normally the seats that recess if damage from running a leaded head on
unleaded is going to occur.  I've heard of particular valve material being
used with seat inserts in a cast-iron head that is converted to run
unleaded, but again research in the UK has shown that the valves and seats
used in Rover heads were always unleaded compatible even though the company
never tested for it.  Since the Rover engines went through significant
re-engineering in a number of areas from the original Buick design I'd be a
bit hesitant about using Buick valves (or anything else) in a Rover engine.
Just my two-penn'orth.

PaulH.