Re: clutch adjustment

To: "packrat6" <packrat6@charter.net>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: clutch adjustment
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 16:14:22 +0100
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
There is no adjustment available as such, it is self-adjusting to take up
any wear between the slave piston and the flywheel.  A low biting point is
often due to wear in the linkage at the *pedal* end of the system, the holes
in the pedal and master cylinder push-rod getting ovalled and the clevis pin
getting grooved.  Other than that incorrect or otherwise faulty or
mismatched (small master bore and/or large slave bore) parts could be the
cause, or of course air in the hydraulics which will have to be compressed
by pedal movement before the slave will start to move.  The clutch is said
to be a pig to bleed which is why I didn't even bother, but opted to fill
the empty system from the slave bleed nipple using a Gunsons EeziBleed after
I had replaced the master, slave and flex.  Empty the system using the pedal
through the bleed nipple first to flush out any gunge, then use very low
pressure to refill.  As soon as you can see fluid in the master you can shut
off the Gunsons and top up in the usual way.  Doing that I immediately had
the full 1/2" to 5/8" of travel of the slave piston without bleeding.

PaulH.