Carburetor woes

To: "v8" <mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Carburetor woes
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 23:28:19 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
I have a two part carburetor question.

I love my 625cfm Carter but it has a serious problem.  Everything about the
carb on the street is great but I have a racing problem that I can't seem to
work around.

During hard cornering, the car is falling flat on its face.  The further I
raise float level the better it gets up until the point that I set the
floats to 0 clearance between float and lid, then it just floods.  What it
boils down to is the carb is uncovering the outer pair of jets around
corners and starving the engine.

I've talked to a few other racers and they had the same problem.  The only
solution anyone has for me is to change to a Holley.  I admit that I haven't
talked to Edelbrock yet but I don't have high expectations.

First question, does anyone know of a solution?

Second question,  what is the Holley of choice for the 215?  I prefer a
4bbl, but I'm open to 2bbl suggestions.

I find it hard to believe that the Edelbrock/Carter/Weber carb can't be used
in road racing, so I'm inclined to think that there is a solution hiding out
there somewhere.

TIA

James Nazarian
71 MGBGT V8