re:shiny bearings

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: re:shiny bearings
From: MGV8VT@aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 12:29:25 EST
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
        James, sounds like either too much bearing crush (the shells stand
too proud of the parting surfaces) or incorrect torque on the studs/bolts that
is causing the housing bore to pull in at the parting line. Whenever I line
hone a block I always stamp the bolt torque into the block so that it is
duplicated on assembly. Critical on aluminum blocks. If you measure the bearing
shells
themselves you will see that the wall thickness decreases as it nears the end
of the bearing, this is to prevent any crank/bearing contact if there is
minor cap shift in a block or rod. You have all the main caps torqued, correct?
I've had more than one customer call to say a crank won't spin when it turns
out
they have it just sitting on the bearings without the mains torqued. The main
bores are not round until the bolts are tight.
        Dale