Re: Some more observations

To: <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Some more observations
From: "Hans Mattes" <mattes@sonic.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 17:43:45 -0800
Cc: "Wayne" <wayne@brazinski.com>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Blank"Is that the Honda 4 cylinder engine that produces 190 hp?"

No.  It's the Honda 4 cylinder engine that produces 240 hp.  At 9000 rpm.  A
good match to a light car.  It is a tall engine, however, so the sump guard
becomes the lowest unsprung point of the car and you'll need to mount the
engine high in the car to get the chassis close to the ground.

I got the engine used from a place that sells engines, transmissions, and
front clips from wrecked Hondas.  They sell mostly to people putting bigger
engines in their Civics, but when I contacted them, they had two
engine/transmission combinations from the S2000.  One was US, one was from
Japan (generally referred to as JDM).  I bought the US one because the
Japanese version has 11.2:1 compression rather than the lower, 11:1
compression of the US model.  I won't give their name because I've heard some
bad stories that I can believe.

I've seen complete engines as low as $2500 and, with transmissions, as high as
$7000.  I paid midrange.  Though it came with the Honda ECU, that was
worthless as it only behaves if it's embedded in a FULL Honda environment.
And that's not easy.  For example, the ECU has an immobilizer code particular
to the driver's key which is picked up in the dashboard lock.  New keys aren't
available outside of Honda/North America, and I don't even have the dashboard.
And lots of other items as well.  So I went aftermarket, AEM, for engine
management.  Good news/bad news: it's very powerful/it's very complex -- and
it's not cheap.  A wideband O2 sensor is a must, and that's just for starters.
My total install cost me about twice the price of the engine/transmission
alone and I did all my own work except for powder coating some body panels
(that I fabricated) and driveshaft welding and balancing.

If you have any interest in aftermarket fuel injection, check out
http://forum.aempower.com/bbs/index.php .  It's a very active forum.  As ever,
25% of the posters don't have a clue and 25% are really sharp.

If you're interested in any details on my build, there's a thread on it at
http://boardroom.wscc.co.uk/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=fa676a5d030f4ed7034a9bb52
b286ae7;act=ST;f=3;t=7045     That's the Westfield board.

You mentioned the 6 speed.  It's a very good shifting transmission -- much
better than the 6 speed in my Miata.  Just for reference, the 1-2, or 3-4, or
5-6 throw in my Rover (RIP) was 5 inches.  In the Miata it's 4 inches.  In the
Honda, it's 3 inches.

Good luck in whatever you do.

Hans