dipstick

To: "v8" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: dipstick
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 01:49:53 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
The conversation on the mgs list got me thinking.  I have two '63 olds
blocks, one grenaded and one soon to be running.  They have two dipsticks
and am looking for confirmation on what is correct.  My grenaded block has a
tube from the dipstick port that curved around and bolted to the top of the
valve cover ( a very original looking thing).  the dipstick handle was
broken off and I needed to shorten it so I set it up like an MG and bottomed
it in the pan and then raised it marginally so that it couldn't rattle.

My other engine has no tube from the dipstick port just a drop in straight
dipstick.  I would say that it does not touch the bottom of the pan.

The reason that this is of interest is that using my dipstick with tube when
I measure full, I read one quart low on the straight dipstick with no tube.
Which one is correct?

I think that the tube setup read correctly after the proper amount of oil
was added but I don't remember anymore.

James Nazarian
71 MGB Tourer
71 MGBGT V8