Re: Olds engine rebuilding

To: wulfmgbv8@attbi.com, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Olds engine rebuilding
From: "" <james_nazarian@excite.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 20:37:58 -0500 (EST)
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
 Al,  the larger chunk is definately block material due to it's makup.  It is
oil stained on one side, and based on it's shape I would say it is part of the
oil pan flange between two of the bolts.  the other piece that I have is more
of a ball or glob, it has no machined or cast surfaces, and due to it's makup
(much finer grain) I would say that it is either a pulverized piece of piston,
or more likely connecting rod. James--- On Mon 12/02, Allen Wulf &lt;
From: Allen Wulf [mailto: wulfmgbv8@attbi.com]To: james_nazarian@excite.com,
mgb-v8@autox.team.netDate: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 21:51:49 -0700Subject: Re: Olds
engine rebuildingJames,To answer your questions: (1) I would use the factory
shop manual or aMotors Auto Repair Manual from the early sixties. (2) A Borg
Warner T-5for a Firebird or Camero with a V8 engine from 1983 through 1995 will
boltright up to your bellhousing. The only modification you'll need to make
onthe transmission case is drilling out the mounting holes on the tranny to1/2
inch. They are a metric size just a wee bit smaller than 1/2 inch. TheV8 five
speeds will have a 1/8 inch input shaft with 26 splines, so if youare using the
original three finger pressure plate you will either need tomodify the center
hub of your clutch disk or buy a 9 1/2 disk that is 1/8 by26 splines. I've
heard that a mid 80s Mercedes has a 9 1/2 disk that is 1/8with 26 teeth. There
may even be a S10 disk that will work. I put a 911/16" clutch from a Camero in
my car. It's a LUK part No 01-133 fromPepboys. I'm using a McCloud Hydraulic
throwout bearing. The 1st, 2nd and3rd ratios are 2.95, 1.94, and 1.34 and the
5th gear is usually .63 or .73.They are very close to the T-10 with the
advantage of a fifth gear. My carwith a 3.40 Ford 8 inch rearend and .63 5th
gear turns 2171 RPM at 70 MPHwith 195/60-14 tires. With a 3.90 rear end the
engine would only spin 2491in 5th gear. The GM version of the T-5 for Cameros
and Firebirds is tilted17 degrees to the left, so you'll need to fabricate a
different rear mount,but you will still be able to use your MGB rear cross
member. If you usethe original shift lever you will need to straighten it. I
used a S10lever, but I still had to heat it and straighten it.Don't about the
driveshaft. I think the output shaft on a T-5 has 25splines.Do you suppose that
mystery hunk of aluminum is part of a piston? I don'tremember whether it was
straight or had a bit of a curve.Good luck,Al