Ford 302 mods and an Auto tranny MGB question.

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Ford 302 mods and an Auto tranny MGB question.
From: James Jewell <m1garand@directvinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 16:19:03 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Hi all,
    After replacing a clutch on my Taurus SHO to the tune of nearly
$2000.00, I realized that my next daily driver may be an Automatic.  The
stop-n-go commuter traffic here in the Washington DC area can be a
nightmare to one's sanity and and left leg.  So, I'm visualizing a MGB
GT with a Ford or GM 4-speed automatic with O/D top gear.  However I've
been informed that the transmission tunnel (and floor-pan) requires some
non-trivial mods to fit most auto-boxes.  Has anyone completed this work
and willing to share experiences and photos?  Also, (and correct my
logic if it is flawed) since there aren't any readily available 4-speed
automatics that bolt directly up to the Rover, can anyone recommend a
tranny to go with the Ford 5.0L (302) or a GM tranny and adapter-plate
combo to bolt on the 302?  Do such adapter plates exist?  If so, how
about a automatic-tranny to Rover 3.5/BOP adapter plate?  Does D&D, TSI
or Towry offer such plates?

Finaly, since the Ford 302 may be the engine of choice for an automatic
tranny (Chevy 350 too heavy?), can anyone share their experiences with
notching the front x-member?  How serious is the work, and how much
re-enforcement does the member need (plates on the front and back?).
 Anybody have pictures of that?

Thanks in advance for all helpfull info,
James J.