Continuing Saga of 3.9L Engine Rebuild

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Continuing Saga of 3.9L Engine Rebuild
From: Glenn <g_wakefield@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 07:28:31 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
For those that are interested, here is the estimate
for machine shop costs to rebuild my 3.9.  This does
not include parts.  Thanks for the suggestions on part
locations, it looks like Ted pretty much has
everything but the pistons and valves on the shelf,
and I can get those from RPI across the pond.  I'm
still unsure if I'm going to replace the pistons.  It
will be another about $650 total to replace them.

I looked at the cylinders.  The worst is .004 out of
round.  Most are about .002.  Some cylinders show
light scratches, one cylinder has a small water pit.
A +20 would definately fix the cylinders.
The shop believes that I can "probably" reuse the
stock pistons with new rings but I may have a little
smoke under hard acceleration.  I don't really want an
engine that I just spent $1,500 on smoking during
acceleration.  I'm leaning towards having them replace
the pistons and overbore the block.

Any words of wisdom from the list on the pistons /
boring?

Thanks,

Glenn

Here's the estimate for the machine shop costs:

1. Take down, clean, measure            $200
2.  Polish Crank                        $35
3.  Resurface intake valves             $15
4.  Grind Seats                         $50 Three angle grind with carbide
cutter
5.  Install valve guide liners          $75 includes liners
6.  Reface heads                        $65
7.  Remove broken manifold bolts        $65
8.  Resurface exhaust port side head    $75
9.  Clean manifold                      $20
10.  Final clean / assemble heads       $30
11.  Assemble complete motor            $400
                        Subtotal:       $1030

If new pistons:
12.  Press fit rods                     $50
13.  Bore block                         $125
                        Subtotal:       $175
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com