FW: [Fwd: Re: intake manifold]

To: "Mgbv8 List \(E-mail\)" <MGB-V8@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: [Fwd: Re: intake manifold]
From: "Jim Stuart" <vze3swyy@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 19:10:07 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Stuart [mailto:vze3swyy@verizon.net]
Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2002 6:44 PM
To: 'James Jewell'; mbg-v8@autox.team.net (E-mail)
Subject: RE: [Fwd: Re: intake manifold]

Since the drive shaft points down towards the rear, & the centerline of the
engine/trans should be roughly parallel to the C/L of the pinion, I would
say that upward movement of the rear would effectively shorten the drive
shaft. Hard to say how much. You could make an intelligent guess by
measuring the distance from the tail shaft to the pinion in 2 positions:
with the car supported on stands under the axle, and with the car on stands
under the spring hangers or other body point. This would give the maximum
extension should the car go airborne (assuming the rubber straps were in
place, & I would think the difference would be roughly equal to the
shrinkage when the axle moved upward to the limit of the springs & shocks,
although that distance could well be less. We are probably talking fractions
of an inch.

Should you find the drive shaft bottoming out in the tail shaft after moving
the engine back, careful use of an angle grinder would shorten the front
yoke & possibly solve the problem. As I remember, I have about 3/4" of slide
in the front yoke into the tail shaft. you might disconnect the U joint at
the axle & see how much play you have before getting too concerned.

Jim Stuart

Reply to <jimbb88@usa.com>