Water Pressure

To: "V8 list" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Water Pressure
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 20:58:49 +0100
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
My factory V8 seems to be pumping small amounts of air into the cooling
system.  I have noticed for a while that even if I leave the car to cool
down overnight pressure is still released when I remove the cap.  To cut a
long story short I have fitted a pressure gauge to the system and find that
it pumps up by 2 or 3 lbs each time I run it up to temperature.  Eventually
it will vomit water out of the 15lb cap when switched off.  I'm temporarily
running with a 20lb cap which seems to have stopped the vomiting, but the
pressure is now getting up to about 18lbs just before the fans cut in.
Whether this is because of the warmer weather or the problem getting worse I
don't know.  There is no water in the oil or vice-versa.

Any ideas?  Minute head gasket leak?  Water pump sucking in air?