RE: Rear end drive shaft fabrication

To: "'Al Dufault'" <adufault@nycap.rr.com>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rear end drive shaft fabrication
From: "Jim Stuart" <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 18:30:01 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Al

You don't indicate where you live so I don't know if my local shop would be
of any help.

Generally speaking, most spring shops that cater to truck spring repairs
also do drive shafts. While their primary business is the larger vehicles, 2
of the local shops were very pleasant to deal with, 1-2 day turn around. It
is helpful if you can show them the tranny yoke & be very specific about the
rear end being used. 8" Ford is not enough info, as there are several
variations in U joint sizes depending on the donor car.

Best advice is to make a visit, find out how they want the final length
determined, come back with parts & info. One shop was happy to put a stock
MGB on their lift to determine how large a drive shaft would clear the
tunnel.

In the Washington, DC area, I have paid around $150.00 for new drive shaft,
new yoke, new rear flange, & new U-joints installed.