GENERAL MOTORS T5 TRANSMISSION

To: "'mgb-v8@autox.team.net'" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: GENERAL MOTORS T5 TRANSMISSION
From: gaveleer <gaveleer@mediaone.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 18:39:02 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Hello list,

               I have a question about the fifth gear ratio on a 1988
firebird V8  T5 box.
I have a chance to purchase it rather cheaply, but am looking for the
upside and downside
for this particular box. Im hoping someone can shed some light on the
subject.

   I did find this website to identify the cars the box came from:

                      http://www.5speeds.com/t5/

The transmission of course is the T5 Borg-Warner. The ID tag # is 1352
176.

The V8 MGB book only shows that the 0.63:1= 1353-213 GM#1019-2298 for
high speed cruising and the 0.73:1 for a best compromise = 1352-212
GM#10192297.

 The book talks about using a 3.00 or 3.07:1 rear axle.

  For the moment I would like to use the stock rear end ratio until
funds allow for a better
  ratio. Suggestions Welcome.

  Question: Does anyone know how to identify what the ratio is in the
current
  gearbox for sale.

  Thanks ahead of time for your help.

  Steve Devine