Re: T5 Location

To: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: T5 Location
From: James Nazarian <jamesnazarian@netzero.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 10:19:30 -0700
Cc: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>, MGB Newsgroup <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Larry et al,  off the top of my head, I don't remember how it came apart, but
it just comes apart without unbending the plate.  My best guess is that the
pivot for the shifter has a spring clip on it that once removed the pivot pin
can be pulled out. There is a spring and some washers in there that you have to
remember how to reinstall but it is pretty easy to do.

My fitment was similar to the one described in the original question, the
shifter was about an inch off center.  What I did was disassemble the shifter
and bend the arm 90deg over then 90deg up to bring the stick out the center of
the stock hole in the car.  I heated both bends and heat treated the affected
area.  Afterwards I checked it and it is plenty strong after doing this so I
don't think that the heat will be an issue at all. YMMV naturally.
--
James Nazarian
71 MGB roadster

A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have
   evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 10:34:14PM -0700, Larry Hoy profoundly declared: