Re: Ford 302 vs BOP/Rover 215

To: MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ford 302 vs BOP/Rover 215
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 20:46:39 EDT
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
In a message dated 9/21/2000 8:48:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com writes:

> I just went out and weighed my spare Buick 215 block - 69 pounds - and that
>  includes 2 pistons and connecting rods.  So that is quite a bit less than
> the 302 block.  Personally I don't want any more weight up front than is
absolutely
>  needed since I want the car to handle at least as well as it did before
(in DSP
>  autocross form).

Kevin,

Thanks for the info, that's good information to have. Assuming the
pistons/rods weigh 2 pounds each, that means the block weighs 65 pounds, or
36 pounds less than I guessed in my original post. That leaves 36 - 46 pounds
still unaccounted for to get to the oft quoted 320 pounds for the 215. Anyone
have any idea where those pounds are?  Does this mean the real weight of the
215 is more like 356 - 366 pounds (Oldsmobile claimed 350 pounds back in the
60s)?  If so, that means the Ford only weighs 70 - 80 pounds more than the
215, or 30 - 40 pounds more than the 4 cylinder.

As for the handling concerns, I can't argue with you on that  - every little
bit of weight hurts, especially on the front end. For my own tastes, though,
using the car strictly on the street, I'm willing to accept the extra pounds
on the front (especially since a Ford axle will add pounds to the rear to
help put the car back into balance) in return for the extra 100 or so
(inexpensive) horse power from the Ford over the 215. A little extra weight
on the front end in exchange for all that HP sounds like a fair enough trade
to me.

Wouldn't an extra 100 HP be advantageous to to an autocrosser?  I don't know
what the limit is on the 215, but even 400 HP is easily and relatively
cheaply available from the Ford. Unless you're autocrossing on an awfully
tight course, I can't help but think 300 - 400 HP would overcome the effects
of the slightly degraded handling.

To be honest with you - and the list - the BOP/Rover is really the ideal
engine for the MGB. In addition to it's light weight, every problem you might
encounter during the installation has already been solved, all the parts you
need to install it are readily available, help is only a keystroke away, and
no one needs 300+ horse power anyway. It doesn't matter which engine is a
better fit, from a size standpoint, as either engine fits well enough. In
fact, even a 350 Chevy fits OK.

It's a different story with my TR6, and that's where I got interested in the
Ford. With the TR6, the Ford weighs LESS than the stock engine, so the
handling is improved, rather than compromised, so the lighter 215 is not as
advantageous here as it would be in an MGB.  Also, the extra height and width
of the 215 would create real problems in the TR6. I don't need 320 HP either,
but it was about as cheap for me to buy the 320 HP crate engine with the
aluminum heads already installed than it would have been to rebuild a used
engine and buy the heads separately.

Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee

Triumph TR 250 - TR6 Electrical Maintenance Handbook:
http://members.aol.com/danmas6/
Stuffing a V8 into a small British sports car:
http://members.aol.com/danmas/
MGBV8 Newsletter:
http://members.aol.com/danmas4/mgv8.htm