Re: what ford 8 inch rearend came with posi

To: Julie Ann Phillips <jphillips@cvalley.net>
Subject: Re: what ford 8 inch rearend came with posi
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2000 21:22:27 -0400
Cc: v8 list <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
One of the reasons the 8" Ford rear is so popular among street rodders &
MG V8 nuts, is that the gears are a stand alone unit that "drops out" of
the housing & can be replaced with another unit with no disturbance of
the gears. No back lash to set, no clearances to mike, no gear patterns
to check. Start with any 8" Ford housing you can pick up cheap, then
start shopping for the pumpkin, because it's not very likely you will
still be able to find a posi unit in a salvage yard. These have been
picked over for years by people just like you, but they started 20 years
ago.

Check Hemmings for people selling the center section, go to swap meets,
check E-Bay, etc. In the mean time, be happy if you can just find a 3.00
to get your car rolling. Even these are hard to find, the common gear is
2.80.

If you are to get lucky, best chance is a hi po Mustang, late 60's.
Others on the list may have more/better ideas.

I walked most of 30 acres of vender spots at Spring Carlisle & only found
1 3.50 pumpkin, which is what I wanted, only saw 2 3.00, no posi's of any
ratio.

Jim Stuart