Re: REAR END FOR MGB V8

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: REAR END FOR MGB V8
From: cgmoog@ibm.net
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 22:18:39 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net

Working from memory but there are three rears were available in earlier
mustangs (pre 74).

Ford 9 inch - generally with big block or special engines (Boss etc.)

Ford 8 inch - Other 8 cylinders and most 6s after 1966 or 1967.

Ford internal carrier - Early 6 cylinders (possibly early V8s not
positive, has sheet metal cover on rear of housing)

Conventional wisdom is to use the 8 inch which is likely what you have
in either year.

Two sites worth checking are

List of Ford axle widths (flange to flange) at (52 inches for the 66 and
either 52 or 54 inches for the 68 so both need to be shortened)
http://www.ridgenet.net/~biesiade/Fordrears.html

How to set up gears in a Ford 8 or 9 inch rear at
http://www.ridgenet.net/~biesiade/gearinstal.html

Good luck