Re: Rover crank specs-reply

To: David Kernberger <dkern@napanet.net>
Subject: Re: Rover crank specs-reply
From: Glenn Towery <mgv8glen@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 23:08:52 -0700
Cc: tjoyner <tjoyner@frontier.net>, buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
David Kernberger wrote:

> >All,
> >
> >I'm interested to know if the distances between crankshaft journals are
> >different for the Rover 3.5 block, the 3.9 block, and the 4.2 block. Any
> >help will be appreciated.
> >
> >Also, does anyone have piston height above gudgeon pin specs for the
> >above mentioned blocks? TIA.
> >
> >Tom
> >88 RR
>
> 4/13/99
>
> Tom,
>
>         The distance in question is definitely the same for the Rover 3.5,
> Buick Special, and Olds F-85.  It seems very unlikely to me that it would
> be any different for the Rover 3.9, Buick 300, Buick 340, and Buick 350.
> This guess is based on the proven possibility of using the cranks from any
> 1 of these in any of the others.  The Rover 4.2 is not a known quantity to
> me.  I'm sure somebody else will fill in that part of the puzzle.
>
>         Compression height on the Buick Special and Olds F-85 is 1.880"  It
> is hard to imagine it being significantly different on the Rover 3.5, 3.9,
> or 4.2  Obsiously the piston dish volumes would vary according to
> displacement and original compression ratio.
>
>         Part of the reason I am offering this less-than-complete answer is
> that I am interested in the answers also, especially compression height and
> dish volume on a 3.9  How about it everyone?  This information must be
> collated out there somewhere.
>
> Regards, Dave Kernberger
Tom & Dave The G.M. 215, Rover 3500, 3900, are the same stroak. The 4200
is .200 more (3" stroak). What we do to moke a 42 run is take a 3900
piston & cut .090 off the top of the piston & .125 off the bottom
skirt,  with the low comp. 3900 rover piston you have 10 to 1 comp. with
the 9.35 rover piston, we will C.C. out in 2 weeks, but I am sure it
will be 11 1/5 to 1 (I hope I hope) There is a cast piston that you can
use, that you open up the wrist pin hole to .927 from .875 & you have 10
to 1. I have a 4200 in my M.G. & it is a LOT of fun comp. to a strong
3500.                                          74 1/5 G.T.,3500, 416,000
miles                                                         74 G.T.
4200, 123,000 miles in 3 1/2
years                                              72 B 4900, & borg
warner 6 spd. 15,000 miles                                            A
good ride is not what states you cross, but what time zones you
cross!!!!!!!!                               Glenn  Towery