Re: Making some progress

To: FJ40Jim@aol.com
Subject: Re: Making some progress
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 18:38:57 -0500
Cc: mgb-V8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net

Jim-

Kurt is taking subscriptions through May. I am sure the Newsletter will
be in good hands with Robin as the new editor, & Kurt offering some
articles.

I cut the appropriate pieces off an old rust bucket to change my RB to
CB. I had the body shop weld on the fender extensions, & cap the top of
the front frame rails where I had removed the RB mounting extensions
with a sawzall & angle grinder. As part of a paint job, the cost was
negligible. I drilled & tapped the front frame for the bumper irons, &
felt that was strong enough. If hit, the added strength of the original
installation won't help you with the cheesy aftermarket bumpers that are
out there. In the rear, I made a plate to bolt to the RB mounts. That
plate carries a long bolt & spacer as a stud to bolt the bumper iron to.
It only shows if you are laying under the car. I used a 1974 bumper
iron, which is  much heavier than earlier irons & is a one piece item. I
worry about being rear-ended in our D.C. traffic.

When you remove parts from a donor for this project, take tracings of
the frame to provide hole locations for bumper irons. Much easier than
measuring, & more accurate, especially in front.

Thanks for the welding offer, it was very kind of you.  I can get it
done locally, but am trying to find a way to avoid the Mig & do it all
myself. If I can, it may help someone else as well.