Re: Years of MGB

To: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@cwix.com>
Subject: Re: Years of MGB
From: Glenn Towery <mgv8glen@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 09:03:36 -0800
Cc: Christopher M Bonomo <chrisandsarahb@juno.com>, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Larry Hoy wrote:

> 1974.5, not too many of these here in the USA.
>
> I'm not sure the "best years" are from 1973 on.
>
> Starting in:
>
> 1968     the transmission tunnel is larger
> 1974.5  under hood area is modified to accept a V8
> 1977     radiator is moved forward
>
> If you want easy, use a 1977 car.
>
> Larry Hoy
> http://home.cwix.com/~larryhoy@cwix.com/

Chris the problem with books, you dont know who or what thay know. I am
the dumb old mech. that has done V-8's for 16 years. the rubber bump.
cars have the changed eng. bay, the late 76 have the panels forward
that  hold the raid. & has the 2 elect. cooling fans, but no big deal
to  to make 74.5 to 76 like the 77 on, 2 raid plates & 2 motors & fan
blades & your done. The 73 & newer ft. hood slam panel has the holes
drilled in it for the elect. colling fans & that is
all!!!!!                             You better talk to someone out
there that KNOWS BIG TIME the laws, because thay will tell you that 68 &
newer had Fed. air pump on them & its got to stay with the car
regardless what motor is in it, or you will have to up date it &  go
with F.I.                                         I would hate to see
someone put all the work  & $$$$$$ into this job then the state laugh at
them.                                              The ONLY way out for
you is 67 & older or put the newer model together with the F.I. like I
am doing at the shop know & its not all that
hard.
The 68 trans tunnel is larger but there is more than enough room in the
67 & older cars (lots of room). I am getting my 66 eng. bay V-8 ready &
will paint next week.
Lot's of luck & remember anyone can wright about any
thing                          Glenn
Towery                                                        # 1 V-8
74.5 G.T.   316,000 miles                                      # 2 V-8
79 L.E.     80,000 miles on it (sold)                          # 3 V-8
73 G.T.     32,000 miles on it (sold)                          # 4 V-8
72 4.8 roadster & 6 sp. 16,000 miles on it                     # 5 V-8
74 4.2 G.T. 100,000 miles in 3 years!!!!!                      these are
my cars & (FUN) miles put on with the
V-8                                     IN THE
WORKS                                            66 G.T. 3900 F.I. (wont
40 m.p.g.+)                                     74.5 G.T. auto F.I. for
Dad                                              TOYS LOTS $ LOTS OF
TOYS