head gasket, which way

To: <mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: head gasket, which way
From: "Mike Hartwig" <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 19:51:22 -0600
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
my brother got fel-pro gaskets for his engine.  We are ready to put on
the heads and need to find out which way the gasket goes (metal side
down or up).  And what about Copper Coat gasket spray on the metal
side, yes or no?  I realize that might be a loaded question.

What about oil filter adapters?  No, I don't want to buy some
specialty adapter for umpteen hundred dollars.  I would like to use a
generic type adapter.  What about a sandwich plate type oil filter
piece?  RPI Engineering suggested that we replace the whole oil pump
base cover with their piece for $75.  Supposedly gives better pressure
(maybe through less pumping lossed??).  So... anyone who has their
engine in-situ, what are you using.  The cheaper and simpler, the
better.

Thanks a bunch you guys.  Sorry I don't subscribe to Kurt's V-8
newsletter.  There were only a few things we are uncertain of, and I
don't think it would have justified paying all that cash for the back
issues.

Jay