Re: [Mg-t] Break Failure

To: "MG T List" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] Break Failure
From: "John F. Quilter" <jquilter@peoplepc.com>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 16:58:09 -0700
Sounds to me like you may have a master cylinder piston that is  hanging up
in the cylinder and not returning to its full "off" position.  This prevents
the pedal from getting the full stroke  when you apply the brakes and gives
the sensation of a resistance free pedal going to the floor. Remember there
is a pedal return spring in addition to the return spring internal to the
master cylinder.  The brakes may also drag in this type situation.  Make
sure the internal return spring is in good shape and that there is no rust
in the cylinder that is causing the piston to hang up.  Sometimes the
interval of time between brake applications will allow the piston to slowly
return to its full off position thus giving you a very erratic brake
operation.

John F. Quilter
Brisbane, California
MGTD,  Morris Minor, Austin America, etc.