RE: Exhaust leak... and more...

To: "'mark saperstein'" <mmouth2@cox.net>, "'Dave and Liz DuBois'"
Subject: RE: Exhaust leak... and more...
From: "Dan" <imoz@columbus.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 19:37:31 -0400
Listers,

I just got my TF back together after 35 years, and I am running into some
challenges getting the engine running right.  My prior question was about
how to deal with an exhaust leak.

Kind thanks to all who replied.

It is a tribute that folks on this list make such valuable knowledge
available on the basis of good will.

Humble apologies for this late reply.

I seem to be on a different clock.

What happened

Upon further investigation, I determined the exhaust manifold was firmly
mated to the block.  The problem was a lack of carburetor coordination.
This is embarrassing, but I still appreciate the info and responses, because
they both confirmed what I thought, and added to my understanding of it.

By getting the carbs somewhat close, I was able to start the car, get it to
idle nicely, and carry me around the block with acceptable performance.  I
did this several times, all to the good.

Current update on mechanical issues remaining.

Several trips beyond the local neighborhood roads have resulted in
misadventures. Each time, after driving in traffic conditions for 15 to 20
minutes, the engine begins to misfire, backfire and lose power, then finally
stop and not start again.

Upon investigation, I found a shattered graphite center contact on the
distributor cap, so I replaced the cap.  The car started, but then the same
thing - loss of power and stop.

Next, I replaced the coil with another one borrowed from a friend.  That
allowed me to drive about 15 or 20 miles.  I was able to reach my
destination (where the car is now).  But on the way, the engine stopped
suddenly and completely.  This time it started back up again without delay,
so I was able to go on.

This last loss of power was more immediate than the earlier problems.  Was
the last loss of power a fluke?  I presume I should replace the coil no
matter what.  Maybe after that, I replace the condenser, especially if it
fails again.

I am trying to get "up and running" reliably, as I would like to take the
car on an extended trip in August.  Any suggestions for testing or
diagnosing possible faults?

Thanks,

Dan

54 TF

Columbus

Subject: Re: Exhaust leak

Dan,

 I would just add it has been my practice to apply a good copper spray

gasket cement compound or similar compound specifically designed for high

heat applications to the fresh exhaust gasket you are placing between the

manifold and the head thereby ensuring a gas-tight seal.

regards, mickey in phoenix