Darn SUs

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Darn SUs
From: John Gunnell <John.Gunnell@fwpubs.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 09:11:19 -0500
My TF was running fine. About 3 weeks ago we pulled the plugs when we
adjusted the valves. The plugs looked good - burning brown - but had some
kind of light tan deposit on them that came right off with the flick of a
fingernail.

The valve adjustment went perfectly.

Took a 300 mile trip and car ran well, but after getting a tank of new gas
in Milwaukee, it acted up slightly.

Over the next three weeks driving around home the car continued to run/start
OK, but the idle speeded up noticeably to around 1500 rpm hot.

Of course I started fooling with the carbs and things got progressively
worse instead of better.

When I start by catching a piece of paper in the throttle screws and then
turning another turn, the engine is running very fast. It can run fairly
well at 1500, but not at 800-1000 rpm. When the hiss through the hose sounds
the same for both carbs, but the exhaust note is splashy.

When I finally pulled the plugs (should have done this first) thaey were
black and had a lot of blackish deposits on them.

What I'm wondering is if the valve adjustment cause problems, whether I got
bad gas or whether something else is at play?

I haven't touched the jets - only the throttle screws. And nothing I do
seems to get the desired results.

John Gunnell
Team Leader
Transportation Books